Thursday, February 27, 2014

Lowering Monthly Bills

I have three variable bills and I set out to lower all of them this month. Electricity, cell phones/internet, and DirectTV were all on my list.

I have been whining the last couple months about our sky high electric bill of $270. When I got it last month, it was around $270 again, roughly about a hundred bucks higher than I thought it should be. I flipped out and told my husband to shut off the space heater in the garage. He told me that wasn't the problem...until he figured out the cost and it was about $100 a month for that stupid heater. I also started using the sleep timer on the TV in our bedroom. We have been very diligent about turning off lights and using the dishwasher less. I'm hoping that we can get our bill below $160 a month.

Regarding our cell phone bill, this was the easy one. I received a text from our provider, AT&T, that we could change to a different family plan. This should save us about $40 a month for more data usage. We use our cell phones as hotspots for our home internet. I have seen other people switching to Ting to save a boatload of money but that's not an option where we live. We need to stick with either AT&T or Verizon as they are the only two with good coverage here. I'm hoping our new cell phone plan will be around $120 a month with taxes.

The DirectTv bill was a bit harder to lower. It was $73 but went up to $83 last month. I call them about every 6 months to get it lowered. The first lady was very helpful and told me that since I had been out of my contract for 2 years, I could come back in as a new customer and get the promotion rate of $34.99 for the base package. I was pretty happy with this deal. I just needed to be transferred to somebody else to implement it. I was transferred twice before I got the lady who would "help" me. She told me I was ineligible for that promotion but she would lower my bill by $5 and give me something I didn't want at no charge. After trying to understand why I couldn't get the promotion package, she actually said, "What more do you want? I'm offering to lower your bill." I was pissed. I hung up and Y called back. They gave him a one year promotion price of $63 per month for everything we have now.

I'm pretty happy with my results but I will have to see what the actual bills come in at.

8 comments:

  1. That was one expensive electricity bil!! I am glad your husband took the time to calculate the cost of the space heater. Couple of months ago, I decided to lower my cell phone bill but the plan I chose was not appropriate for my usage and I ended up with an even higher bill twice. So, this month I switched back to the old plan. It is not crazy expensive.

    10% of my electricity bill is due to the small freezer I own. It is old so, not very energy efficient. As long as it works, I will keep it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With electricity, its hard to know what is taking so much. I just want my bill lower.

      Delete
    2. I can relate. When I was with the Ex, we had a $600 electric bill.. in the winter! huh?????

      Delete
  2. My electric bill is ridiculous too. It's frustrating. I try and try to find ways to reduce it but nothing seems to help very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to call our cable provider and see what they can do....it just went up again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We own a meter that you plug into the wall and then plug the device into that. It calculates how much electricity is being used on that outlet. It was pretty cheap to buy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My utility bills are the highest they've ever been - I blame the long cold winter. I've been running a space heater too in the basement when we're down there watching TV and I know that's the culprit but what can you do? Oh how I long for warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when I find ways to cut my bills. I sit down every so often and give it a go through. Sometimes I even try to shave 10% off but it is getting harder and hard since I've done it so many times. I am hoping to get the bills cheaper when DJ leaves but I'm not sure how much everything will go down.

    ReplyDelete