Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday Catch Up

I haven't posted for a week due to being busy and having an uneventful financial week. We received our state tax refund and I transferred it right into our savings account which now stands at $3719. For February and March, I won't have any commissions. I still get my regular salary but I'm motivated to work extra hard to make more money.

Y and I ordered our trees and other garden supplies yesterday.  I ordered honeyberries to plant around the house. I'm very interested in edible landscaping. I also ordered hardy kiwi trees. I will probably do another gardening post soon.

Y and I talked about ways that we can save more money this weekend. We agreed to try carpooling. We live 10-12 miles from our work. Y often has to work late so I'm not sure how this will go but we will give it a try.

We have held off this long with propane. The price has come down to $2.95 a gallon from a high of around $5 a gallon. We have about 11% left in a 1000 gallon tank. We need to order at least the minimum of 150 gallons this week. I'm going to try to wait until later in the week to see if it drops further.

Our electric bill last month was $272. Ouch! That's about $100 more than usual. Granted I was home on maternity leave but still. We need to get this under $200.

I've been watching the Olympics. There was a Norwegian skier on his 7th Olympics. Wow! Especially for cross country skiing. That's super hard work. Those Norwegians can really ski. Its interesting to me that they would choose to come over and settle in MN. There aren't any mountains where I grew up and most everybody was of Norwegian descent. I digress. I'm so proud of the American athletes.

Snowboarding is my favorite sport to watch in the winter Olympics. What's yours?

10 comments:

  1. Our electrical bill was bad last month too! I'm blaming it all on the nasty weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping most of the bad weather is behind us. Fingers crossed :)

      Delete
  2. I think *everyones* hydro bills are going to be through the roof this year.. we've had a brutal winter here, most days -20c to -30c. It's time for spring... just need these 3ft. of snow to melt! ;) lol!! I love the Winter Olympics... If I had to choose a fave, skiiing of any type!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like watching the biathlon. Shooting after skiing that hard would be very difficult.

      Delete
  3. The land in Minnesota is very much like the flatter country in Norway and Sweden. The weather is the same the only difference is that they did not have the mosquito problem s in the old country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I better stay in MN/ND because I couldn't do without the mosquitoes. Lol! Our state bird!!

      Delete
  4. I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your blog. I don't have my own blog but I am also a wife/mom of two kids who works full time and lives in the upper Midwest and likes personal finance. It's nice to read another voice in a similar situation to mine. Some of the blogs I cannot relate to at all. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite part of the Olympics is the speed skating, especially the tandem event. (Probably because the Canadians always do so well :) I shuddered when I opened my electric bill today - but I know what it is - we have an electric heater in the basement where our TV is as the basement is always cooler than the rest of the house. C'mon spring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help when your country does well. I do like the biathlon though and the Americans are pretty much a now show. I usually cheer for the Norwegians or the Canadians.

      Delete