Sunday, March 23, 2014

Lazy Sunday

I'm sitting on the couch in my jammies just hanging our with my kiddies while Y is still sleeping. I'm getting lots of smiles from little Baby G. We don't have anything planned today and I love those days.

I will make a menu later today based on what we have. This will be a busy week as Y is out of town all week for training. Lil Punk starts swimming lessons this week, too. I also start with my new territory in full swing. After an initial freak out, I talked to a coworker who will gladly help me and take over if I need him to.

I'm seriously contemplating hiring a house cleaner. I don't think I "deserve" one but its really hard to keep up. I inquired with a friend who had somebody clean her house. She was paying $100 each time twice a month. $200 is not in the budget. I was thinking more like $100-120 per month for two times. If you have your house cleaned, how much do you pay? Does that make me lazy to hire a house cleaner?

Financially, we are just cruising along. There is nothing exciting with our finances which is good.

We are discussing building our deck. We went to Lowes yesterday and we liked the composite decking material they had better than Menards. It was quoted at about $300 higher than Menards but I have their card so I will get 5% off which brings it down to about an extra hundred bucks. Its really a covered front porch so I'm super excited to get started and have it done. We are outdoor people and I see us using the front porch a lot.

I should also sit down and figure out where I'm at for the month with grocery spending. If I don't know, that probably means I spent a lot.

I hope all my blogging friends have a wonderful week:)

17 comments:

  1. I don't know how much they charge now but I used to clean a house for a pretty rich family when I just came into the country. And I would charge $80 every time (judging by a market 9 years ago). But they had a gigantic house (and some really messy kids...), and it took me all day to bring it back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our house isn't gigantic (1800 square feet on the main) but we do have a messy kid.

      Delete
  2. We have a house cleaner & it's $90. It would be $100 if we weren't having it done each week. I could live with every other week, but my husband can't. I just don't have time (or, I would spend all of my extremely limited free time cleaning) & it's not my priority. I'd rather work out, hang out with the kids on the weekends. Don't feel guilty - especially if you're going through job changes & this will help you through the transition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would way rather hang out with my kids for my free time than clean.

      Delete
  3. I think there is nothing wrong with getting a house keeper when you are working. Just be specific and I thin $100.00 is too high. 15-18 an hour is enough and you should only need 4 hours to deep clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I was thinking around $15 an hour. I figure it would take a professional about three hours to clean and do the floors and about $10 for driving here. So, in the neighborhood of $55-60 per time.

      Delete
  4. My house is only 960 square feet. When I was about 7 months pregnant with Little R, I talked Mr. R into letting me hire a house cleaner. I decided if I was going to have to keep working full time with 2 kids then we should use the extra money to pay someone to clean the house. I think I used Merry Maids. They charged us about a hundred dollars and it took 2 people about 3 hours just to clean the 1 bedroom, 1 1/2 baths, living room and dining room. I can clean the whole house in about 2 1/2 hours by myself and that includes both bedrooms, not just 1. Plus I didn't think they did any better than I do. I guess I expected them to be very thorough and they weren't.

    After that, I just couldn't do it. Plus since our house is small and we have 2 kids. It's a mess every day and requires cleaning to keep it decent. So twice a month really wouldn't help much. It would still be messy the other 28 days of the month and Mr. R and I would still be dealing with it daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't any maid services here but I would think they would be more expensive because of their overhead.

      Delete
  5. When I worked full time, I had a lady come in every week for about USD 60. Labor is cheaper in Turkey and I have a small two bedroom apartment but she thoroughly cleaned everything and did my ironing. Now that I travel a lot and work part time, it is not a necessity and a bit of a luxury. The lady got old so she is no longer going to other people but whenever I call her, she comes to clean my apartment. I like her a whole lot and I know she needs a bit of pocket money. Since that you are working and have two little ones at home, twice a month would really help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would consider this a luxury as we could do it but I think it would be worth it.

      Delete
  6. You NEED a cleaning lady! More so than rich people with no children and who have nothing to do. I would have liked to have one over the years as a single parent but it just wasn't in the budget. I think you can decide how many hours per month it doesn't have to be a set number - just get what you can afford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do some figuring yet on what fits into the budget.

      Delete
  7. We just got a cleaning person today :) College student at church coming over every other week for two hours of cleaning for $40 cash. Bonus is that she can do her laundry too while she's here and make herself lunch if she wants. She seems pretty happy with the arrangement, and as long as the house is clean I will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mom worked full time and we had a house cleaner for about 2 years ... the best two years of my childhood, I swear! I loved coming home to a fresh & shiny house every Friday after school ... and the best part is that we didn't have to spending Saturday morning cleaning with my Mom barking orders. I would TOTALLY have a cleaner come if I worked full time - having someone doing the deep cleaning once a week would definitely make things easier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1200 square foot house, 60 for 3 hours

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you are doing so well and are so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll come clean for you! For some reason it's always been less painful to clean up someone else's messes than my own.

    ReplyDelete