Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Breastfeeding and Work

Baby G is almost 6 months old and has been exclusively breastfed until just recently when we started introducing baby food and baby cereal. This is the story of how I've managed to balance work and breastfeeding.

I returned to work when Baby G was about two months old. I hadn't planned on going to breastfeed him on my lunch. I called the director of my daycare the first morning I was back at work to deal with getting his immunization record. She mentioned that I could stop by any time to feed him if I wanted. I told her I would stop by at lunch to nurse him. I went there at lunch that day and continued to go every day thereafter. It is nap time when I go so all the lights are off. The baby room that Baby G is in is like a little apartment. The caretaker is the only one in his room besides the other three babies but they are usually in their cribs in a different room napping. Nursing Baby G at lunchtime is my time to relax and bond with him. It is an instant tension reliever.

I treat my lunch appointment with Baby G as I would any other appointment. It is on my calendar and I make sure I keep it. My coworkers know that I take lunch at 11:30 and if I need to change that, I need advanced notice so I can let my daycare know.

The other part that goes with breastfeeding is pumping. I work at three different locations. The first location has a large restroom with a separate lounge area. I had to find an acceptable area to pump at the other locations. I absolutely will not pump in a bathroom without a separate lounge area. I found a place in two separate storage areas. I never asked my boss but just spoke to whomever at the locations.

I didn't ask because pumping is my legal right and I treat it as such. I even had a work conference in March. I emailed the marketing person ahead of time and told her I needed a place to pump. The conference was held at our large corporate location and they had a separate facility for breastfeeding moms. The marketing person made sure I had access to that part of the building.

I have found that overall both my coworkers and my boss are supportive. Nobody has made any negative comments to me. I would just shrug off anything if somebody did have the nerve to say something.

Have you been a working mom who breastfed? How did it go for you?

7 comments:

  1. I think this is great. I went home to nurse my second one on lunch hours. I also remember working as a waitress when my first one was 8 months old. If a baby started crying in would start to leak through these atrocious pink uniforms we were required to wear. I only worked the lunch hour as I was in college. I think my boss changed the uniform color because of me. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't gone back to work yet but I am thinking about how this will work when I go back and have to pump. I'm exclusively pumping and supplementing, as he won't latch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome! I went back to work at 6 weeks and 12 weeks, respectively, but only pumped at work. I just live to far away from my place of employment to make a lunch break breastfeeding session work, unfortunately. However, I know staff who lived within 5 minutes of work who did so. I think this is great to help keep the supply going longer (I only was successful breastfeeding for 6 months and 8 months, respectively, and I think a big part of that is my supply started dwindling with the return to work, despite pumping and active breastfeeding at home... I think my body was in shock of the extra need for energy to balance work and babies those first few months when I returned to the work place).

    Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas
    www.lovelylasvegas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not work when my twins were this age, but I nursed Sassy, pumped for Bossy, and then the expressed milk went into his feeding tube, and I would hold him through his feeding (you would be surprised how many people figure since you are "passive" when you feed a tube fed baby....they just leave them in their seat/carrier). It was like having triplets!!!

    I did his for 8 months (exclusively pumped for the first 10 weeks because they were too little to nurse). At that point my supply was low and I stopped.

    Great job! I bet Baby G loves seeing Mommy during the day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm lucky that I work less than a 3 minute drive from home so I was able to go home at lunch to pump every day. I don't know if I would have lasted as long with breastfeeding if I wasn't able to pump at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, very interesting post thanks for sharing. Can I contact your through your email. Thanks!

    Randy
    randydavis387 at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your determination for continued bf'ing!! :) Good for you! Lucky baby!!

    ReplyDelete