Sunday, August 17, 2014

Garden Bounty

My garden is producing quite a few veggies and fruits so I thought I would update.  I am making a roast later with potatoes, carrots, onions and thyme from my garden.  This will be the first time that we have eaten any potatoes from the garden.  I have made quite a few stir fry meals with fresh eggplant, baby summer squash, onion and peppers.  So far we have had peas, grean beans, kohlrabi, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, bok choy, eggplant, summer squash, and onions.  We had a few radishes right away but it wasn't a good year for those.  Our tomatoes are just getting into full swing and I'm happy about that because I love LOVE tomatoes.  Cucumbers and melons are growing but haven't produced anything big enough to eat yet.

Our sweet corn completely failed this year.  Thankfully a guy I know came into work and gave me a bag of sweet corn.  Since he is a farmer and had a ton of sweet corn, he invited me over to pick as much as I wanted to freeze.  The kiddos and I went over that night.  We picked enough to freeze 24 quart freezer bags of corn.  We should be good for the winter.  I'm so thankful that he gave us so much corn.

We've also eaten quite a few ground cherries and raspberries.  If you've never had ground cherries, definitely try them if you have the opportunity.  So delicious!

How is your garden doing?

8 comments:

  1. We've gotten a bunch of cucumbers and zucchini and a couple of tomatoes so far. We can see some baby watermelons coming along, and a nice butternut squash. Our peas and beans failed completely, we got a single green pepper, and rabbits destroyed our wheat, so that was a bummer. We've got a couple other random squash plants that I expect will overrun us with squashes any day. Our basil plant is going bonkers, too.

    We're still figuring out this whole gardening in the ground thing - our backyard is beautifully landscaped and we haven't figured out a good place to rip out the fancy plants to put in a regular raised bed, so we're sort of sticking things wherever there seems to be room. It's not the best method, and I think our scattershot results are due to that. Next year maybe we will get serious about it and also consult the Farmer's Almanac - I'm pretty sure I killed the peas and beans by moving them outdoors at the wrong time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think gardening is all trial and error. This is my third year of gardening and I'm still changing things around. The watermelons we have are still small but I'm excited to see how big they get. I've always just planted beans and peas outside instead of transplanting them.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed! Just curious...how "big" is your garden space?

    I just saw your other comment about e-mailing you....I can't find your address!! So you e-mail me so I can make sure I put it in my contacts. mysti1031 AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! We got a late start so we only have jalapeños and tomatoes growing. But we have lots to make salsa each week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a garden ... but my in-laws loaded us up with cucumbers, sweet corn & squash this weekend and my Mom gave me some tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No garden this year but will be exploring ideas over the winter about growing veggies in my patio area - there must be a way!

    ReplyDelete