Saturday, August 2, 2014

Working on Commission

I work in sales and my compensation is salary plus commissions. I am guaranteed my salary and earn overtime. I love working for commissions because I like being paid for my hard work. Before I had a commissioned job, I would find myself working harder than many coworkers and wasn't usually compensated for my harder work.

Before having a professional job, I waited tables and bartended. I loved doing both and was very good at it. I made a minimal wage of $2.13 per hour and relied on my tips for my main income. I worked hard and was focused on each shift to make as much possible. Money motivated me to do the best I could to earn the most.

Fast forward to my current job and I'm still motivated by money. I want to earn as much as I can without working crazy hours to provide for my family. I won't work more than 45 hours per week because I don't want to interfere with my family time. I always know where I'm at with upcoming income. I like being in control of my own paycheck and having the opportunity to earn more than I would in a regular job.

This past month is my best month ever for commissions. I don't know how much my paycheck will be on August 15 but it will be the biggest one I've ever received. July was a little hairy at work trying to get everything done but I'm happy that it all came together. Now I will have a bit of money to start the retail investment account.

Are you in sales? Do you or have you ever worked on commission? Do you like it?

15 comments:

  1. I love the concept of commission sales, but I have grave doubts about my ability to succeed in that realm. It takes a skills that do not come naturally to me. It's great that you like what you do and feel motivated by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sales are for me but the world would be very boring if we were all the same. I believe you are an accountant and I would do well with the numbers potion but there is no way I could read legal tax code and keep up with it.

      Delete
  2. My husband worked in sales for years. His most recent job is not in sales, & I like the predictability better. Also, in tech, it's more common to receive options vs commission. So, no commission but he's now receiving options. I don't have the personality to do well in sales. ;-) He excels at it, and feels similarly to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The options feature has definitely worked out well for you. Tech is just so different. My sister was in tech sales and now she does well as a tech consultant.

      Delete
  3. Mr PoP is in B2B sales and likes it most of the time. The emotional roller coaster gets to him every once in a while, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the major downside of sales and the reason that people leave. I try to manage it but am not always successful.

      Delete
  4. I kind of hate dealing with people, so sales is not my area. However, I worked as a waitress for four years while in college, loved it, and made great money, so I guess I'm not entirely antisocial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you don't do this, but I've had some negative experiences with commissions salespeople. I went to a Sleepy's store and ended up buying a mattress for way more than I should have because the salesguy pressured me. I know, I know, it was my fault, but still. I hope he enjoyed his little bonus that I'll be paying off for months to come.

    I also witnessed a woman in Best Buy telling a salesman that she felt pressured because he was trying to make her buy a laptop. I think sometimes working on commission can have very bad outcomes. I know people are trying to make a living but they end up doing immoral things at times because of that.

    Again I know this isn't you, but I would never work on commission. I don't want to be that kind of person who pressures people into buying stuff and doesn't care who gets harmed in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should mention that the salesperson made me feel I was getting a great deal. After checking the website I realized I had overpaid by $100 because I didn't do my research. I guess it evened out because if I'd bought it online I would have paid shipping.

      Delete
    2. I'm not in that kind of sales. People call me and shouldn't buy if it doesn't make sense for their situation. Since I'm not disclosing what I actually do, this might not make sense but I'm not on commission like what you just described.

      Delete
    3. I was thinking about this today and this is the best analogy that I can come up with. This isn't me but its a similar concept. Let's say I sell seed to farmers. You would only be talking to me if you're a farmer but if you are a farmer and are looking for seed, hopefully you would come my way. Then I could find the best seed for your soil type, budget, fertilizer, etc. There is not any pressure but there is a big incentive for selling and figuring out the beat solution for your needs. If I do my job well, you buy seed, are happy and tell your farmer friends.

      Delete
  6. No, I've never worked in sales, though I have waitressed about 100 years ago :) I worked for a bank and then as a teacher. I just don't have the right personality for sales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be awful at sales, I just know it. I get the hives thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there competition among your coworkers to see who can get the most sales in a month?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved working in sales. The money was AWESOME and I loved being in charge of my paycheck.
    Keep up the hard work you obviously have it all figured out!

    ReplyDelete