Thursday, August 28, 2014

Minnesota Accents

I seem to have lost my pf blogging mojo so I'm just going to blog about whatever.

I got into an interesting conversation with Rivulet over at $12 A Day about accents.  I'm from Minnesota which has one of the most made fun of accents in the country.  If you have seen the movie Fargo you know what I'm talking about. The accent is usually done wrong in the movies but it is there.  It has its roots in a strong Scandinavian background.

My grandparents were Norwegian and even though they were both born in the States they never lost the thick accent.  The o's are longer and th is often pronounced as d.  When you listen to them talk, it is very up and down with accentuating different syllables than normal.  When Y first met my grandma, he asked where she was from and couldn't believe that she had lived in MN her whole life.

I could hear the accent before I moved away but when I lived in TN and went back, I could really hear it.  I live now in North Dakota and the accent here is not as pronounced because it was settled by many Germans.

Anyways, I'm proud to have Norwegian ancestry.  Norwegians came here and worked their own land to make a modest living.  They were typically educated and women played a strong role in farm life from taking care of the house to working the fields with their husbands.

Anybody else have Norwegian ties?  What is your ancestry?

10 comments:

  1. My brother's wife had me do some genealogy work for her. Her father's last name was Wales and she was all excited thinking she was related to Princess Diana(her heroine)......yes, she actually thought that the Princess of Wales(her royal title)meant she was related to Di and the current royal family.lolz
    Anyway, she had no clue beyond her father where her Wales were from and I traced her line so far back to her 2x Great Grandparents, Charles Anderson(probably Carl Andersson originally) WALES and Susan Jane GIBSON.
    Charles was born in 1851 in Sweden and came to the US in 1872, settling in, of all places, Florida! I guess he didn't care much for the cold of his homeland. lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry but I'm still laughing that she thought she was related to Princess Di.

      Delete
  2. Even though I grew up in Wisconsin my mom's side of the family is from Minnesota. People always tell me I sound like I'm from Minnesota. It wasn't so bad when I lived in the Midwest but now that I live in Utah people really comment on it. My family is German and Czech so I guess I get it from them. I definitely say the long "o" when I don't catch myself or am talking fast. When I was in Montreal a few years ago people there where shocked when I said I lived in the states. They assumed by my accent I lived in western part of Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My background is Irish and British. I definitely "side" more with my Irish side and St Patrick's Day is one of my favourite days of the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents both came from Sweden but many of our older relatives came from both Norway and Sweden. Our family was a back and forth family. Dad finally settled ere to get masters at Berkly. I have a very odd family background. But my kids make fun of my ND accent. The minute I cross the border it is back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for MN! I've never thought I had an accent until a few years back I went to South Carolina with my husband for his job and everyone was like "where are you from? You talk funny!" So I guess I have the MN accent! Are you a hot dish fan too?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have family in MN, and I love the accents!!!!
    We in the south are so used to getting made fun of for our accents!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm telling you, the accent is really strong there :)
    I'm 25% Irish, 25% Scottish, 25% English. And then my mom's Dad's family was in the United States for so long that it's hard to tell what he was. Totally all American mutt on that one. (still a lot of that same sort of British blood though) There's something about us Irish, if it's in our blood we'll claim it with full force pride to the very end. My theory is that the Irish went through so many hardships and yet had so much pride for their country through it all that Irish pride stays in the blood line forever.
    I can't really hear the Michigan accent either but I know we have one. My sister and I have decided that it's a combo of the Northern Minnesota (Michigan upper peninsula) and southern Indiana accents. Michigan just meets in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just sound Canadjun eh? No Norwegian in my background though I find the country fascinating and would like to visit there someday. My heritage is Scottish and English...boring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm from the northern Chicagoland area. We don't say Ts, we say Ds. So its Budder not butter. Or we say a couple two, three. It sounds a bit gangster, I guess.

    ReplyDelete