Thursday, October 23, 2014

Early Retirement

I want to retire early, like next year.  I would like for both Y and myself to work part time and be able to hang out with our kids more.  Y wants to retire early, like around 55 or 60.

We could sell our house and buy something for around $125,000 that would be owned free and clear.  We could pay off Y's pickup and be debt free.  I think we could make it on two part time incomes.  Ideally, I would like to move to Alaska off grid.  We could buy a dry cabin and Y could plumb it.  It would be cheap living.

I really think I want to do this.  Big risk, big reward!

6 comments:

  1. Whoa.

    Would you really be able to only work part time and still be happy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wellll, so this post was written on a whim but I have thought about it. I do like the challenge of work.

      Delete
  2. Just remember your previous post regarding medical expenses and loss of income. You always need more than you think you will. I've been on a pension now since July (not long) and while I thought it would be plenty my budget is tighter than I thought it would be. Plan carefully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Jane. We won't do anything foolish but I can see us taking more risk at a certain point.

      Delete
  3. Wouldn't this be a dream! Sometimes I think about getting situated on a piece of property where we could grow/raise our own food and raise our family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know some people who retired early, got bored, and went back to work. I always love when people say "well that would never happen to me" because that's what the early retired people said at one time too!

    ReplyDelete