Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Increasing our Grocery Budget

I realized yesterday when I added up our monthly spending that I need to increase our grocery budget.  It was at $500 and we cannot make that work with our current habits.  I'm debating increasing it to $550 or $600.  This covers breakfast and dinners for all of us, snacks and lunches at work for Y and myself.  Lil Punk eats at school for lunch and Baby G eats lunch at daycare.  We rarely eat out.  We had two huge splurges of dinner out last month and we spent a total of $100 on dining out.  The previous month we spent around $30 on dining out.

Because we eat at home and take our lunches, I can't make $500 comfortably work.  I say comfortably because I'm not willing to change our diet to eat cheaper options.  I like having fresh fruit, veggies, fish, good cheese, and fresh pasta on occasion.  All of those are more expensive than trying to bare bones it.

I am also a foodie at heart.  When I make a grilled cheese sandwich, I want cheddar and Munster cheeses with fresh tomatoes and poblano peppers on good bread with a pesto spread.  Instead of making a basic taco dip, I want mine loaded with lots of fresh veggies, olives and avocado.  I know it costs more to cook like this but its a splurge that's well worth it in my book.

To top it off, I also like entertaining at our house.  It's fun for me to make a good dinner and to have friends over to share it with.  I want them to come over with their kids and enjoy a good meal with appetizers and drinks.  It's cheaper than going to a crowded restaurant and its way easier with kids.


Maybe I am justifying increasing our grocery budget but I'm okay with it.  Food is expensive!

7 comments:

  1. I wholeheartily agree with what you are doing. When you cook and eat at home more often you do spend more on actual groceries than when you eat out. And I am also with you on the fresh produce. It is way healthier and if you try to buy more of something when it is in season you can actually end up saving in the long run (for example when zucchini is in season I buy a lot and make zucchini bread and freeze the loaves, things like that work well for us.) If you are able to up your grocery budget and it is in the best interest of your family than I believe you are doing the right thing. BTW, I like your blog a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I want to eat at your house. :)! I think the food budget is the best place to add $$. It's an investment in your health! :) Go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please cook for me??
    We are foodies too, and I think spending more on high quality food is better. If you put junk in, you get junk out. But, if you put high quality food in with nutritional value, then your body will thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With my new diet regulations and working on freezer meals, I had to increase our budget too. And I'm fine with that. I say"no" to many things in life but food is not something I will deprive my family off of. I'd say, increase it $50 and see how it goes :) Then you can always adjust it next month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do about $150 a month for a single person so if you have a household of several people then $600 is quite reasonable ^_^. The cost of groceries is getting more expensive every year, yet in North America we still pay the lowest percent of our income on food than any other place in the world so that's cool at least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you - I don't mind scrimping in other areas (thrift store clothes), library books vs. buying but I want to eat well!

    ReplyDelete