Saturday, January 17, 2015

Dental Costs--Uggh!

A week and a half ago, I went in to get a temporary crown.  After insurance, I had to pay $438.  To top it off, I had severe pain in the tooth that had the temporary crown.  I called my dentist's office on Thursday and they told me to come in.  After looking to make sure that the temporary wasn't causing me any pain, she asserted that I now needed a root canal which I need to be referred to an endodontist for.

The endodontists office called me on Friday and I told them I was in discomfort.  They were able to fit me in on Monday and the full payment of $1307 was due upfront because they didn't have time to get preauthorization from my dental insurance which would cover 60% of the cost.  So today my tooth doesn't hurt at all.  Not even a little bit.  Should I cancel my appointment for Monday?

Also, I'm a bit wary of overzealous dentists because its very VERY easy to recommend different dental procedures as necessary and who really knows if you need it.  Y has had bad luck with a dentist before and it makes me wonder if all of this is really necessary.  I might need to find a different dentist and get a second opinion on this root canal business.

7 comments:

  1. I feel you! I'm going through something similar right now. I have never had success with a crown without a root canal under it - both times I've done it, I had to have a root canal done (once within a year, once two or three years later) plus a new crown. This time around, I'm going to save myself the future hassle and just get the root canal done in the first place. It means money out right now, but saves me the cost of one of the two crowns in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daughter says to cancel appointment. A tooth can be very sensitive as inflammation will put pressure on the nerve. A root canal kills the nerve. As the inflammation recessed the pain subsided so you really don't need a root canal. As long as you have no infection the crown is enough. Cancel the appointment. Your dentist likely gets a kick back for referring you and as you have pain he has no reason not to. This is how they make their money. If you in the future need a root canal they should be able to use the same crown. Both hub's and I have had crowns and have never had root canals. Now we have had some pain and sensitivity, but a good dentist should be able to crown a tooth without always doing a root canal. If you find that you always need one change dentists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lamentable how you were made to pay that much upfront, just because they weren't able to get preauthorization from your dental insurance. Anyway, I hope that situation doesn’t happen again in the future. It seems that you have a good coverage with your insurance, it’s just unfortunate that the preauthorization did not come through in time.

    Donnie White @ Good Health Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a crown myself once. It was really expensive but seeing how it improved my teeth, I can say that it’s worth it. I had dental insurance at the time, but the cost was still over $400 for the first visit to get the temporary. In the end I spent about $1500 without a root canal for my procedure. No pain.

    Sharon Woods @ Fall Spark Dentistry

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the tooth doesn’t hurt, you should cancel the appointment. Who knows what could have been causing the additional discomfort. I’m with you on the overzealous dentist thing. Plus, why didn’t they recognize the need for a root canal before this? Why did your discomfort steer them in this sudden direction? Hold out and see how it feels in a few days.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Read your post its really informative and keep updating more about
    insurance agencies

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the type of information I’ve long been trying to find. Thank you for writing this information.
    no waiting period dental insurance

    ReplyDelete