Sunday, February 1, 2015

Financial Update

I filed our taxes on Friday and am happy to report that we are getting back $3251 from our federal refund.  I was too cheap to pay for Turbo Tax for out state filing so I will do that on my own.  We were only going to get about $1550 back until I entered our daycare expenses.  Since our daycare expenses are going down for this year and my income is a bit sporadic, I'm going to leave our deductions the same.

Y and I have talked it over and we plan to buy new living room furniture.  We are going to get 2 couches and a large chair with matching ottomans.  We have looked at the set a couple times and know what we want.  We will wait until we have the refund in hand to purchase anything.  The set costs around $4500 so it will take the refund and a portion of my bonus.  It's Lazboy and leather so very comfy and it looks good, too.

 I did have the root canal done before I went on vacation.  It was hurting intermittently and I didn't want it to bother me while in vacation.  The cost was $1307which I paid out of pocket. I submitted it to my insurance and am waiting on a reimbursement check for around $760.  After that has been processed, I will also submit to my medical flex for my portion of the root canal and crown, approximately $980 between the two.  Since I will be requesting a flex reimbursement, I will also add in our daycare expenses for January and February.  I think that only the portion that was withheld from January will be reimbursed at this time, probably about $408.

After buying for our furniture, I will beef up our savings account.  It's current balance is around $5400 so its on the low end of what I prefer to have in cash.  At least I say this now.  I've found it hard not to buy more cheap energy stocks.  I have about $7500 in BP, Conoco and Halliburton stocks that I've bought in the last month or so.  I would like to buy more when they are cheap.

We had a get together for Superbowl today.  It was fun to hang out with our friends and eat good food.  I was pretty disappointed that the Seahawks couldn't pull it together in the end.  Overall, I'm just happy that the Packers didn't make it to the Superbowl (spoken from a true Vikings fan).  Did you watch the Superbowl?  Any favorite commercials?  I liked the Budweiser ones but overall felt they were lacking originality.  The half time show was mediocre.  Katy Perry has a great voice but you couldn't hear it.  The special affects for the halftime were very good though.  I liked Missy Elliot singing old school.  What was your favorite part?

7 comments:

  1. After filing my taxes on turbo tax they listed a website for state where I could go pay the $2 I owed. From the looks of the government website I can file my state taxes online for free. I think next year I will try this out. Paid $37 for state via turbo tax but laziness won out as its so easy to just do federal and state together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super disappointing finish yesterday, combined with me not feeling well, and Nick throwing up all over the house during the last 10 seconds of play. He was both emotionally devastate over the game (seriously, I was upset too, but he was like - devastated & sobbing. It was hard not to giggle. ;-)), but also has a touch of the flu like me. It was a very appropriate ending to the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed that your taxes are all done so early! We're still waiting on a few forms - WTF to eTrade for taking forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, another good chuck of change coming your way :) Does the refund normally take long to get? We won't start our taxes until beginning of March but we expect a refund aswell

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could get my taxes done but we don't get the forms we need in Canada until the end of February so I'm impatiently waiting!! I desperately need new living room furniture too but will likely wait another year for the kittens to mature!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want and need new furniture so badly, but we are not adding this year, so I just have to suck it up and live with the old and dirty. I will live vicariously through yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, nice refund! Good for you for getting it done ... still need to do ours ... sigh ...

    ReplyDelete