Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A Sober Tale

My best friend is an incredible person.  We met in 4-H when I was 12 and she was 11.  We bonded instantly.  We both showed horses, lived on farms, were interested in boys and liked having fun.  But we really liked having fun!  More than our other girlfriends and most of our boyfriends.  We realized in our mid teens that we could easily get whatever alcohol we wanted.  We partied and drank and had good times.  Then, we needed more.  That progressed to doing drugs to keep the partying going.

We grew up.  She joined the army and I moved away and went to college eventually.  When we got together, the partying was a whole new level.  We drank Coronas for breakfast, had Redbull/vodkas all afternoon, had wine with dinner and headed to the bar where we took shots, I drank beer and she drank vodka.  We woke up drunk and drank away our hangovers.  We had so much fun.

Until we didn't.  She continued drinking and I drank less because I was in college.  She would call me and be hysterically crying.  She quickly spiralled out of control.  To make a long story short, she sobered up...for the first time.  I tried to support her because I loved her.  I didn't want her to hurt the way she was at the end of her drinking.

Sobering up our friendship was very hard.  She relapsed with my help.  I would buy her shots and slip them to her.  We had to completely redefine our friendship if we wanted ton remain friends.  I needed to support her 100% in her sobriety 100% of the time.  It was kind of awkward and very hard.

Today she is sober and an addiction counselor.  Sobriety is and always will be a topic of our friendship.  We recognize that it is there and always needs to be there.  We are having our annual girls weekend in Minneapolis this weekend.  We might go out or we might stay in.  Either way, I'm so grateful I have put in 100% to our friendship because I get 100% back.

4 comments:

  1. It is great that you have worked it out. Old friends are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Good luck this weekend. There are tons of great drinks that don't have alcohol in them, and tons of stuff to do that don't involve drinking. Good for both of you to have figured it out! {{hugs}} to both of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such a personal story. Have a wonderful, safe time!

    ReplyDelete