Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Retirement by the Years

I came across a blog that had their retirement numbers year by year and I thought it was really neat.  The numbers given are as of January 1st of that year. Here goes:

2008:  2,379.18
2009: 3,474.48
2010: 7,327.33
2011:  13,153.44
2012:  29,480.27. This is marked both of ours so up till this point it was just mine.
2013:  52,934.11
2014:  80,141.07
2015:  116,599.75
Current:  128,675.82

My goal for this year is to contribute $18,000 to my 401k.  I increased my contributions to 16% of my pay.  I wish I could say that I didn't notice the increase but I do.  2011 was the year that I started my current job with a 401k.  I didn't have one before and only contributed to my Roth IRA.  I think that having the automatic contributions really increased the amount we were saving.  We both also have pensions but those numbers are not included in these.

It can seem daunting to save for such a huge goal like retirement so I like to see the progression.  If you have your numbers and don't mind sharing, leave a comment with a link back to your blog.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome job in so little time! Our retirement grew quite a bit as well in that time frame, but we have a lot to go. In 2008 we had about $400,000, and it has more than doubled in that time frame. We are pleased, and hope that it will double again in another 10 years. :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I am impressed with both of you. When you are just starting, it seems so daunting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mistake does not only teach you how to be strong but also how to stand up again and to do good next time. Visit my site for more information. Have a good day always and thank you for sharing your knowledge and wonderful article to the public. I do hope that you can inspire more readers.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I don't have my own personal numbers as of yet (I'm waiting for a pension statement to come in) but that is seriously amazing in such little time! Congrats!! Im going to keep checking back and see other peoples numbers, I love seeing the progress year to year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love saving for retirement! It's sometimes tough to keep it a priority, but even when our financial situation flux and we have to make budget changes, I always make sure to keep something going towards the RRSPs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your article is such a privilege. It does inspire me, I hope that you can share more positive thoughts. Visit my site too. The link is posted below.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete