Sunday, June 7, 2015

Garden Update

My garden is coming along nicely.  We planted onions, potatoes, tomatoes, ground cherries, sweet and hot peppers, carrots, spinach, kohlrabi, broccoli, cabbage, eggplant, and peas.  I might have missed a few things.  We had a couple late frosts so I was worried that the tomatoes and peppers might not make it.  They are all still doing well and I put the first tomato cage up today.

I just planted the vine garden and corn on Memorial weekend.  So far everything looks like its coming up well.  I'm excited to have so many different kinds of pumpkins and cucumbers.  We could eat cucumbers every day.  I put them in pasta salads, tomato and cucumber salad, on sandwiches, fresh with a bit of garlic rice vinegar, right out of the garden, you name it.

Y built me raised beds for raspberries, strawberries and asparagus this year.  They are all doing well so far.  I will have a 4th bed next year for herbs but that one didn't get built this year.

Y is also in the process of building our front covered deck.  The decking took 6 weeks to get here but is finally here.  I look forward to sitting out on our covered porch and I think that it will give our house extra curb appeal.  Y is also looking for a sprayer so we can spray our entire yard for bugs and mosquitoes.  We also planted black currants around the house.

One of my goals for this year was to plant two trees or perennial plants and we accomplished that between the black currants, asparagus, strawberries and raspberries.  I actually had a few asparagus planted before and one raspberry bush but neither were doing that well.

5 comments:

  1. Your garden must be glorious! Your harvest will certainly be amazing. So much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The journey with gardening is as fun for me as the harvest.

      Delete
  2. You must have a massive yard, tasty but massive. We have under a quarter of an acre and sometimes it seems massive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 18 acres so we have the room. It takes my husband over three hours to now with our zero turn mower.

      Delete
    2. Yup, that's a lot of yard. We have under a quarter acre and I think its too much. I must be lazy. LOL. But it doesn't feel like it.
      We always have tons of projects to do and we are always coming up with projects. Coming up with the money for the projects is another thing. My yard would be great if we were rich and could hire people to come in and fix it. A few million would be great.

      Delete