Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Food and Stocks

I prepared dinner for tomorrow with ingredients from our garden.  Freshly dug potatoes, onions, and carrots were chopped and put in the crockpot with chicken thighs and garlic.  I will put the timer on the crockpot tomorrow and we will have a delicious dinner tomorrow night.  Our tomatoes are starting and I'm so thankful.  Tomatoes and cucumbers are my favorite foods.  I splash a little garlic rice wine vinegar in both and it makes for a good side dish or snack.

I met with my financial advisor and started buying an energy mutual fund.  I think energy stocks are undervalued right now and I love getting a good deal.  I wasn't sure if I wanted more exposure to individual energy stocks since I already own BP, Conoco, and Halliburton.  I also bought a couple thousand of Coach.  I don't buy their bags because I'm too frugal but I think I got a good deal on the stock.  I wish I had more cash right now because I love buying stocks on sale.  I am keeping my $10,000 emergency fund in cash but I'm so tempted to buy something else.

Another side note that's important to me:  I encourage you to call your Senators who voted not to defund Planned Parenthood.  This is not about women's rights.  Women should always have the right to say no.  It's not okay to use our tax dollars for an organization that is selling fetus body parts.

If you think that you're going to leave me a comment in my blog about changing my mind.  Forget it.  Never going to happen.

Edited to add:  I like that this is a passionate issue.  It should be.  Obviously I feel strongly about it and I think we should contact our elected officials to remind them how we want them to vote.

9 comments:

  1. So, I have to ask-does the selling of fetus parts undo all of the good that Planned Parenthood has done? The access to affordable birth control, feminine healthcare, and family planning that they have provided to low income women who would otherwise be up shit creek? I totally empathize with people not agreeing with the selling of fetus parts and demanding that it cease. What I don't understand is defunding the ENTIRE organization that is about so much more than that. Based on one component of that organization. Especially with NO valid replacement planned for the low income women that benefit from their services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't the first time PP has been in hot water over questionable practices. I do think that by butchering aborted fetuses and selling the body parts does trump many of the good things they've done. Tax dollars should not be used for this. Defunding PP would make them have to reevaluate their practices because they aren't otherwise.

      Delete
    2. Yes, absolutely agree. I cannot believe people are trying to justify something so disgusting and heinous with weighing it against "all the good" they claim PP has done.
      I don't know...I never needed their services for birth control...I simply abstained! And in 9 years of marriage where my husband and I felt we weren't ready yet for kids (just had our first child last month) we used condoms and family planning methods. Worked just fine for us. And I totally get and accept that most people do not follow my lifestyle in saving sex for marriage--but my point is, we DO have control over SOME results via the decisions we make in life. I guess I just don't agree that we should necessarily have our cake and eat it, too (not wanting to get pregnant, but getting pregnant through that act we all know produces babies, and simply getting rid of it to rid ourselves of the inconvenience). I know I am probably WAY more conservative about this than most people, but there it is. I admit, I am so much more emotional about this than I used to be ever since I had my first child. I just cannot imagine doing anything to hurt my baby--regardless of whether she's inside my body or out of it.

      Delete
  2. I am now having to manage my parents IRA's. Their buying techniques are different than mine, so I am having to learn a very conservative approach to trading. I have been investigating various energy stocks and about ready to pull the trigger on a couple of them. I have an easier time investing my own money than I do someone else's. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so great at conservative but our retirement funds are in target date funds so I'm not tempted to play with money that I'm actually going to need.

      Delete
  3. Your dinner sounds delightful! My neighbor brought over some cucumbers and squash last night. We are having burgers on the grill with marinated cucumbers tonight. Will probably use the squash tomorrow. I love easy summer eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marinated cucumbers sound delicious. What do you marinate them in?

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your transparency. The PP videos have made me physically ill. There should be no question that our tax dollars do not belong with this organization.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dinner sounds amazing - and all from the garden. I can't wait until next year when I'm back in BC and can have a bountiful garden myself.

    ReplyDelete