Sunday, September 20, 2015

Relaxing Sunday

I made wild plum jelly today for the first time.  We've had wild plums for a long time in our yard but I've never done anything with them before.  Lil G has taken to eating them whenever he can so it motivated me to try something with them.  I boiled and strained them last weekend.  I made the jelly today and canned it this evening.  The jelly tasted really good but I'm hoping it gets thicker as it cools.  I followed the recipe precisely so I'm hoping.  I made 5 pints so we should have enough to give away a couple as Christmas gifts.

Next weekend, we're travelling the 2 1/2 hours to my best friend's house for our salsa weekend.  I have the tomatoes peeled and frozen.  I also have plenty of hot peppers.  It will be a fun and busy weekend.  We are also going to her neighbor's wedding when we're there whom we've never met.  It's a little random but it is so like my best friend to accept a wedding invitation with the premise that her out of town guests would attend also.  She makes friends with everybody.

Both Y and I were paid this past week.  I was contributing 16% of my income to my 401k but after this last check, I dropped it to 5%.  That will allow me to still get the company match and I will still max it out this year.  I have about $1600 left to contribute to my 401k to max it out.  I also maxed out my Social Security match so that will be a 6.2% increase for the rest of the year.

I took another look at our goals for the year and I need to stay focused.  I will do another post about where we're at and what we need to work on.  I will say that if we did not have financial goals every year, we would be further behind financially from where we are.

Have a wonderful week!


3 comments:

  1. The wild plum jelly will be fantastic. Our house 3 houses ago had them in the corner of the backyard and I made jelly every summer. I don;t miss the house but I do miss those trees. The flavor is so much better than domestic plums.

    Have fun making salsa and also have a blast at the strangers wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made it before so I was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful flavor. I will definitely be making this every year. I think homemade jelly and salsa make the perfect teacher gifts.

      Delete
  2. I love homemade jams and jellies! I think it's lovely that you did that using the plums from your yard!

    ReplyDelete