Thursday, October 1, 2015

Challenge Update

So far, we've spent nothing for groceries this week (my weeks run from when we get paid so it started yesterday).  Yesterday, we had leftovers and canned peaches for dinner.  Tonight we had a hodge podge for dinner, Mac n cheese and rice with veggies.  I made chili tonight that will go in the crock pot for tomorrow's dinner.  I don't think I've ever blogged about this but my secret to making crock pot meals during the week is a plugin timer.  If I start the crock pot right away in the morning, it is too long for most meals.  I plug it into the timer and set the timer to start around noon or whatever time I like.  This has greatly increased my use of the crock pot during the week.

For my neighbor and friend who just had the twins, I'm going to make a cheesy hamburger potato casserole. I have everything for it already and I think it will be easy for them to reheat at their convenience.  For my friend's birthday, I'm going to make bacon Bacon dip which I will need sour cream for and maybe chocolate chip bars which I think I have everything for.  I've made the dip before and she raved about it so it's fitting that I would bring it to her party.

I will need to buy fruit and milk this weekend.  That will pretty much exhaust the $21.

I did decide that its highly unlikely that I will be able to succeed at this challenge and include the money for the fruit for my work event.  I'm okay with that.  I'm obligated to participate in that because of my role at work and I do make a good income that comes with certain obligations.

I also talked to my very good friend in real life and she said she is going to do the same thing.  Like us, they do well but she is always looking for ways to save money.

4 comments:

  1. There would be no way for my family of six. Absolutely no way. We are trying to cut back though. I do admire those that can do these challenges and stick with it. It sounds like you are doing a fabulous job in the planning stages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your food (meat) frozen when you put it in the crockpot? I would worry about food poisoning, I had it once, never again I hope. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. For the chili, I browned the hamburger prior to putting it in with everything. For beef roasts, I thaw the meat and sear it with seasoning prior to cooking it. For frozen chicken and frozen pork, I just put it right in the crock pot without thawing with the other food I'm cooking it with. For instance, for chicken, I will put frozen chicken breasts, uncooked rice (about a cup), onions, garlic, and a can of cream of celery soup together. That would cook about 5-6 hours in my crock pot on low. Super easy and delicious when I'm tired at the end of the day.

      Delete
  3. I put chicken and pork into the crock pot without thawing and never an issue. After today (did Costco run) I am going to try and spend less than $35(cash in my wallet, there is more in the bank account if I need to go there) from now until the 15th. The only thing that may blow that is over the counter meds depending on hubby's needs but otherwise my fridge and freezer are full. I like self-challenges, it tends to make you use up what might be lurking or old in your freezer too

    ReplyDelete