Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Challenge Update

I finished the $21 challenge last week.  I bought milk and bananas.  I don't have an exact but it was pretty close to the $21.  It wasn't that bad for one week.  I do keep a well stocked freezer and pantry so it forced me to make more meals from scratch which is always a good thing.  Plus, I don't think my kids even noticed.  My husband only noticed because I told him what we were doing.  Overall, it was pretty painless.  I actually think that I'm going to incorporate this challenge monthly.  I did go grocery shopping lar Friday for this week.  I spent about $100 so nothing out of the ordinary for this week.

I did get a new credit card.  I opened the Chase Sapphire Preferred card.  I will get 40,000 bonus points after spending $3000 in the first 3 months.  I'm hoping to use those points to book our hotel in Playa del Carmen.  I booked our flight a couple weeks back using my current credit card miles.  Y and I have never been to Mexico so we're super stoked.  If I could pull off using the credit card bonus points for the hotel, that would be awesome.  That would be the second year in a row that we had a vacation paid for exclusively with credit card bonuses.  Since we've never paid interest on a credit card, we're way ahead of the game.

Our spending is way down this month, largely due to the grocery challenge and staying home on the weekends.  Now we just need to keep this up for the rest of the month :)

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed you did it! Pretty soon (yeah, after Christmas type soon, not sabotaging the holidays) I am going to try and do the EBT card challenge where you actually purchase everything for a month using the same amount you would have on an EBT card. I think technically you are allowed to use staples and spices you have but nothing else. When I do it I will be true to the challenge and donate everything leftover from what I usually spend to a food pantry. The point of it is to bring awareness to the challenges of eating at the poverty level. I will try to remember to post about it when I do it. I think I will do it in February (shortest month and all)

    ReplyDelete