Monday, December 28, 2015

2016 Garden Planning

I'm starting to receive seed magazines in the mail so it brings me to planning for next year.  Every year since we've lived here, I've set a goal of planting at least 2 perennial plants.  Some have made it and others haven't but I keep going because the planning, planting, pampering and seeing if it took is an exciting part of the gardening process for me.

Two years ago I planted two apple trees, Sweet Sixteen and Honeycrisp.  The Honeycrisp died last year so I plan to replace that.  My strawberries and raspberries were doing very well last year so I'm hoping they come back.  Two years ago we planted honeyberries (similar to a blueberry but don't require acidic soil) and they are doing well.  Our asparagus patch was doing exceptionally well last year also so I hope I'm through the worst with that.  The hardest part is establishing the asparagus patch.  We also planted currants last year that were doing well.  We already have established plum trees here and I planted mulberry trees a few years back.

I've tried planting goji berries and they died the first year, prior to winter even.  I've also tried planting hardy kiwi but that didn't make it.  I tried planting black raspberries and the plants lived but never produced any fruit.  Maybe I will still get something from that.

This year I am thinking I would like to try planting cherries and blackberries.  We love blackberries and they are expensive.  I found a blackberry grower who swears his plants are good to zone 2 so they should be good here.  I'm willing to give it a try.  Our neighbors have a beautiful cherry tree that inspired me to plant a cherry tree.

I'm still tossing around the idea of planting goji berries.  They are supposed to be very healthy and should grow here.  I've also toyed with the idea of planting grapes but I think those are more labor intensive.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Suggestions?  Any other zone 3/4 gardeners out there?


4 comments:

  1. I am starting my garden planning also. It seems New Years is when I get a little itchy to get things organized. Since it is still in the 70's here as much as I would love to plant something I feel like the other shoe is about to drop and the weather will return to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the zone that everything burns come summer, so about all we've been able to keep is potted tomatoes. The birds gets the big ones before we can pick them. Your garden made my mouth water! I wish we lived in an area with more local food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to rent a house a lifetime ago that had amazing soil for a garden. I think the gentleman had hauled in manure from his farm. Things didn't just grow there, they flourished! We had an amazing raspberry patch, tons of rhubarb, 2 apple trees. I miss that garden. Our home we've lived in for 20 years has no growing potential. Too many trees and roots. I love that you are so connected with the land. A lost connection for many, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a small garden at our house and frankly, we have never really planned it out. We usually just purchase a few things every season, that look interesting, and then plant. Thanks to your post I am going to talk with my sister about planning out what we should plant this year. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete