Friday, January 29, 2016

Taxes

I'm such a nerd that I actually get excited about doing our taxes.  This year I'm using freetaxusa.com so my federal return should be free.  I will mail in my state because I don't want to pay to file them.  I've used TurboTax before but this other one seems just as easy to use and is free.

I'm still waiting on two investment statements but I calculated that we're getting back about $2000.  Yay!!!  We saved a lot of taxes by maxing out my 401k.  Now I just need to work on Y and max out his 457.

We are in the process of finishing our basement so I might make a deal with Y about the refund.  He can use half the refund for that and I will put the other half in my Roth. We already maxed out his Roth and mine is slow going.

Does anybody else get excited to do their taxes?

8 comments:

  1. You know, I did! Unless you have your own business, there's no need to do paperwork - or any work of any kind - to file taxes here. It just...happens. I'm actually quite sad about it. Have fun with yours though! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh NO I do not LOL. Even though I am an accountant (not a tax accountant) I pretty much hate anything to do with any kind of tax return. Weird, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will go into turbotax and start entering my numbers as soon as I get my last paycheck of the year. So I guess that makes me excited to do my taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with OneFamily on this one, and I, too, am an accountant (but not a tax accountant). It just seems like torture to pull my paperwork together and then find I am still waiting on something. By the time all is said and done, and despite my best efforts at estimates and such, I still have to write yet another check for balance due.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I am a serious number nerd, so I look forward to paying bills, doing taxes, budgeting, spreadsheets - all of it. Even if I have to pay like this year. Just knowing and planning does it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate tax season. I used to pretty routinely owe money. Usually anywhere from $100-$500, so I hated filing taxes. Now, I typically receive a refund so it makes it much easier to deal with, but it's still not my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Canada the software is Turbotax still. I finished mine on the weekend but can't netfile my return until Feb. 15. Being on a pension certainly changes the amount of my refund but at lease I don't have to pay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming... SMSF

    ReplyDelete