Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Tuesday Update

We are leaving next week for Mexico and I have a bad case of anxiety about leaving my kids.  My MIL is taking them and will be staying at our house when Punk has school.  I am so worried about leaving them.  At this point, if I could cancel the airfare and get my money back, I would do it.  I know Punk and G will be in good hands but I just worry about them. It's so hard to leave them even though I know we are ready for our first ever kid free vacation since having Punk.

In the last two weeks, we bought half a beef and half a pig.  For the pig, we got 99 pounds (hanging weight so I think we actually get 60% of it).  The meat was $148.50 and 83 for processing.  We ended up with about 60 pounds and paid about  $3.86 a pound.  The pork was the best I've ever had.  For the beef, it was 405 pounds hanging weight which probably netted us about 243 pounds of meat.  The meet was $900 and the processing was $238.  That works out to about $4.68 a pound for locally grown hormone free beef.

I'm stealing a page from The Hawaii Planner and trying my best to eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day.  I'm terrible about making sure my kids eat well and then I will eat whatever.  For instance, they will get fruit as a bedtime snack.  After they go to bed, I will grab chips for a snack for myself.  I want to lose 5 pounds which I attribute to my taking birth control.  I've stepped up my workouts and need to focus on my eating, especially because I will be in a bathing suit next week.  Yikes!!!

For Mexico, does anybody have any advice on what to bring?  My coworker told me to bring Imodium in case we get sick.  Anything else that is a must have?  We've never been there so any advice would be helpful.

11 comments:

  1. Love it! :-) And, you & I have the same issue. The kids always have fruit as an evening snack, but I prefer chocolate. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to focus on putting my health on the same platform that I choose daily for my kids.

      Delete
  2. I'm jealous of the meat purchase. I've been wanting to do that for awhile. I think this will be the year though!

    I hope you're able to have a GREAT time on the trip despite the nerves about leaving the kiddos. I think you can pretty safely avoid getting sick as long as you're super careful about not drinking the water. Like the place you're staying will probably say that the water there is safe, just don't risk it. I have not been to Mexico since I as a kid but I've been to Guatemala four times and the only time people on our teams got sick is when they accidentally drank the water. Like even in weird ways you wouldn't think, like brushing your teeth. We were sure to use bottled water to brush our teeth and keep your mouth closed in the shower and try not to get to much on your face. Of course, Mexico is much more developed then Guatemala but still, just stick to bottled water :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, so even bottled water to brush my teeth. I want to see Guatemala after hearing you describe it.

      Delete
    2. I LOVE Guatemala! Just to be on the safe side. I think the resorts in Mexico should have safe water but sometimes... you never know down there. Like MGC said think of little things, like fresh veggies at a in town restaurant that may have been washed/ rinsed in the water, that'll do it. It's really not as difficult to avoid as I think we're making it sound but avoiding it will save you the... mess.

      Delete
  3. If I were your husband, I would kick your butt for even THINKING of canceling your child free trip. Seriously, the kids will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I needed this comment.

      Delete
  4. If you are staying at a resort the water is fine to drink in Mexico in my opinion just be careful if you go off the resort on any excursions. We went on an excursion that served lunch and I knew to avoid the water but I didn't thoroughly think it through about the fruits and veggies grown with the native water. I ate some lettuce and whew, let's just say it was a loooong plane ride home! That would help you lose 5 lbs but sure but probably not the way you want to do it! ;-) I would also suggest bringing lots of $1 bills for tipping. We were in Cancun and the locals were happy to accept US money but mysteriously they never have change. This will be great trip for you to relax and reconnect with hubby. Have a blast! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband has had some business trips to Mexico in the past. Times are different now as to what you can pack on an airplane. He used to bring granola bars to eat on his own. When he is there, he never leaves the resort on his own and his company's plant (factory) would send a driver to pick him up to go there. When he eats out (outside of the resort) he always drinks beer (because that is not mixed with local water, the soda is) and asks that it comes in the bottle to the table (don't use ice there either). He also tries to order fried foods because he figures that kills germs. Now this is just my husband....have a good trip! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to Mexico, and Little Man is only 11 weeks old - so I have no advice for travel without kids no matter the destination. I'm really interested in your meat purchases though. I've thought about doing something similar, but have yet to pull the trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's a lot of meat, but at a great price! I remember when I first left my kids to go away with my husband. It was HARD, but so glad I did. You'll have a wonderful time in Mexico and kids will probably be just fine.
    As far as fruit and veggies? I NEED to eat more too....

    ReplyDelete