Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Credit Card Churning

We've opened two cards in the last couple months to prepare for our free vacation.  I opened up a Citi Hilton card for 40,000 bonus points after spending $1000. I already spent the $1000 on propane and dental work for Y.  I was kind of annoyed that they increased the bonus to 75,000 miles after I opened it.  I called and they won't change it.

Y opened up a Barclay's card for a 40,000 bonus after spending $3000 in 3 months.  I already put our auto insurance for six months on it.  We will spend enough in the next three months to easily get the bonus.  This card will actually replace our US Bank Travel credit card that I've have for about 5 years.  It offers double points all the time.  The redemption system is also way better for our needs.  You book your travel and then use the points to take care of the charge.  Using it this way, this is the only card that I've found where you can book with discount airlines like Allegiant.  This is very important to us because Allegiant is the only airline to fly out of the small airport near us with direct flights to Vegas, Phoenix, Orlando, Tampa, LA and a few other destinations.

It makes me a little sad to be getting rid of our US Bank card because we've booked some vacations with it.  Our family went to Florida and our flights and hotel were covered.  We also paid for our flights to Mexico with this card.  I have about 28,000 points left on it.  I will likely save the points and book a few hotels for when we do go on vacation.  It will be closed after that because it does have an annual fee.  The points are 1 point per dollar with double points for phone charges, groceries and gas.  It just doesn't compare to the Barclayscard.

I'm also debating getting the Marriott credit card.  After I opened the Hilton one, my credit score is still 822 so I'm good there.  Y's is 792 so lower but still very good.  Or maybe I should have him open the Marriott one and I will open the Barclay's one at a later time.

What is your preferred credit card and why?

8 comments:

  1. I love the chase sapphire CC. I got 50,000 points which is good for $625 in free travel or I can transfer the points 1:1 to Southwest Airlines or a couple other airlines, forget which ones. It does have a $99 annual fee but it was waived for the first year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just have a Chase Southwest. Pretty much everywhere we are going with the kids, Southwest goes. However, when they move out, we are probably going with a Barclay. I have heard good things about international travel with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends on where you like to stay, but I like the Amex Starwood Preferred card. We also have an Alaska Airlines card that's fabulous, but probably not helpful for you, given airports/flights. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just opened a U.S. Bank Perks+ card. It's my first rewards card and I'm sure I could have done better, but I didn't want to pay an annual fee. Double points for gas and groceries, and 1 point for everything else. I got it just before paying a slew of medical bills and our anniversary vacation expenses, so I am hoping some day it will bear some of the burden of taking the family to Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking for the top credit card offers and rates? Bankrate.com provides credit card offers to apply for low APR and rewards credit cards. credit cards proposals

    ReplyDelete
  6. Subject to credit approval and availability. You must use your new Meijer® MasterCard® or Meijer® Credit Card account to receive this discount offer. lexington law review

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing such great information. It was very informative and has help me in finding out more detail about Credit card offers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information.

    เย็ดสาว

    ReplyDelete