Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Gardening

This spring we planted six sweet cherry bushes.  So far, they're doing well.  They are quite small so I'm hoping they have good growth this year.  I also planted goji berries in pots.  With planting those, I checked off a goal for this year to plant two berry plants.  I also planted a new apple tree to replace the one the deer killed.  They love the sweet little leaves on the apple trees.  We have at least one deer living in our yard/woods.  We've seen it here since it was a yearling.

I have about half my garden planted.  I'm planning on going to the local greenhouse this weekend.  This is what's on my list:  regular sweet peppers, mini sweet cherry peppers, ground cherries, cherry tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, some sort of beefsteak tomatoes, kohlrabi, cabbage, celery, basil, leeks, and several types of hot peppers.  I might have missed some items.  I realized a few years back that I must have a detailed list prior to going to the greenhouse.

We actually went last weekend to get strawberry plants.  I planted 25 plants last year in a raised bed and only 2 of them survived the winter.  I ordered those online last year so I'm hoping the new local ones fare better.  My kids picked out a few flowers, too.  I always let them buy flowers because my grandma always had flowers for us kids.

I've also contemplated planting either a pear or plum tree.  We have wild plum trews here and they do phenomenally well here.  I would like a plum tree with larger plums.  I will have to research what will donwell here.  Lil Punk loves pears so a pear tree would be perfect for her.

Does anybody else have planting fever?


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete