Tuesday, June 7, 2016

5 Years Ago

I started my current job 5 years ago today.  I was so excited to start it but I was most excited to be leaving my previous job behind.  I hated it so much that I was depressed.  I hated my manager and hated the actual job.  My manager wanted me to meet with him daily about my sales goals and progress.  The office culture was one of backstabbing and petty meanness.  One time I made the coffee wrong and the result was an all office email complaining about the lack of competency about whomever made the coffee wrong.  I had a long commute for the last six months of working there and I often dreaded the entire day the entire way to work.  Sometimes I would leave work at lunch and drive around and cry.  It drained me and bled into my entire life.

I needed a fresh beginning desperately and I was thrilled to be given the chance at my current job.  With the exception of the one annoying coworker that I wrote about, the culture where I work is very positive.  We are encouraged to volunteer up to 40 hours a year and get paid for our volunteer hours.  I've left work many times to volunteer at a community function and it is encouraged.  My current position also afforded us many financial advantages.  I made six figures my first full year.  We were able to save and build our house.  When I took maternity leave with Lil G, I took off 11 weeks.  I only received one phone call to renew my license if I was coming back.  I was never called about anything work related because they wanted me to focus on my baby.  When I brought him into work, my coworkers were so excited and showered us with gifts and heartfelt good wishes.

The con about my current job is that it is very challenging and can be stressful.  I've come to realize that I need the challenge.  I don't like the stress but I recognize that it comes with the territory.  This past year has actually been the east stressful so I'm hoping it continues this way.

5 years later I'm grateful for my current job but I still vividly remember the frustration of job hunting and the depression caused by hating my job.  If my current job ever gets like that, I would quit in a heartbeat.  Life is too short to be depressed over work.

7 comments:

  1. I can't get over the fact that someone had the gall to complain about how you made the coffee... Wow.. Someone had far too much time on their hands I think! LOL!! #firstworldproblems
    Glad your current job has less BS attached to it at least! Life is too short to be depressed over work, but many don't have that luxury to be able to quit in a heartbeat either unfortunately. I'm glad I'm "my own boss" as well...! It's a huge blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually looked off and on for a year before I found my current job. I wanted to quit and go wait tables but Y wouldn't let me. He told me it would be a lot harder to get a professional job if I quit and took a temporary job. I stuck it out but that year was exhausting. I cried after each job interview when I didn't get the job.

      Delete
  2. I am not surprised about the coffee complaint. Petty people = petty issues. Glad you were able to move on and move beyond the aggrivations there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. I like the #firstworldproblems

      Delete
  3. Leaving a stressful job adds years to your life, or it feels like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you are in a better.

    ReplyDelete