Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Payday

Today is our payday and a commission check for me.  The commission check is the largest that I have ever received.  I'm grateful and thankful that last month is over.

This is what I plan to do with it:
Pay annual home insurance premium
Put $7000 into our house fund
Put $2000 into the kids' 529 plans--I opened these a couple months ago
Put $8000 aside for stocks--since the market is at an all time high, I will likely wait to buy
Buy a new Christmas tree--I would like a large 8-9 foot tree to fit our house

With this paycheck, I maxed out my 401k and saved $50,000 year to date.  Woohoo!

To top off this election season, my husband no longer wants to spend Thanksgiving with his family.  His mom keeps going on and on via Facebook about the election.  All the talk about a Revolution is a trigger for his PTSD.  People keep talking about Syrians not being let in this country.  When Y was in Iraq, he traveled with a colonel and they were targeted by Syrians.  There was a roadside bomb that took out the Humvee right in front of them that was meant for them.  Y has no desire to hang out with his family over Thanksgiving in large part due to their comments and I don't really blame him.

6 comments:

  1. Good on you for using your commission wisely!
    Many people still just blow extra money and then they can't figure out why they can't get ahead.
    At your age, if you keep up this rate of saving you'll be in great shape for retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on your wise financial choices.
    If you will allow me: One thing my parents told me which I tell my kids is I think it's fine, in fact, I think you SHOULD, with your husband, start creating your own holiday traditions. Keep what you enjoy from both sides, remove the rest,and do your own thing! No apologies or excuses, either. Just "Thanks for the offer, but we want to cook our own turkey this year." (Or whatever else you want to do.) You are adults. You get to decide, and free of guilt, what to do on your holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the amazing paycheck!

    Skip the family dinner and make your own....not worth the anxiety. I started cooking with the kids when they were little, and on Thanksgiving I still look forward to making a pie with Bossy, and Sassy pretty much makes the cranberries on her own. Maybe you can use some little helpers in the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your husband this election has just made people crazy. Great job on the savings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you skipped the family gathering... no one needs to go through that!

    ReplyDelete